Follow these steps for using a Peak Flow Meter:
- Place the indicator at the base of the numbered scale.
- Stand up or sit up straight.
- Take a deep breath.
- Place the peak flow meter in your mouth and close your lips around the mouthpiece. Do not put your tongue inside the hole.
- Blow out as hard and fast as you can.
- Write down the number you get.
- Repeat steps 1 through 6, two more times.
- Write down the highest of the three numbers achieved.
You should maintain an asthma diary where you can record your daily peak expiratory flow rate (PEFR) readings that you measure from peak flow meter. This way you could remain better informed about your asthma and these readings will assist you and your doctor to have a better control over your asthma.
Tip: When using the peak flow meter, make sure your fingers are not blocking the cursor of the flow meter.
Click the videos below to watch the demo of peak flow meter usage: